WWI Submarine Control Room
Part of the 'Uncovering Archives Photography' Workshop held at Tyne and Wear Archives and Museums in 2012, this photograph shows the control room of the German submarine UB-110, famous for being one of the first vessels to carry magnetically detonated torpedoes.
From the description:
"This image shows manhole to periscope wall, valve wheels for flooding and blowing. Hanwheels for periscope gear, air pressure gauges. The UB-110 sunk after attacking a merchant shipping convoy near Hartlepool in July 1918. It was then salvaged and transferred to Swan Hunter Wigham Richardson Ltd. Dry Docks (Wallsend), with an order to restore her to fighting state. The order cancelled following Armistice and she was scrapped thereafter."
Photo dated November, 1918.